Daily Living, Budget Advice, and How to Get Things Donehow to bring your pe into the philippines

10. How to Bring Your Pet into the Philippines

All of the information that follows is the same whether your pet(s) will accompany you on your flight to the Philippines, or whether they will be shipped in unaccompanied by you.

You will need to secure a health certificate for your pet(s), issued by a duly licensed veterinarian, and dated not more than thirty days before the arrival of your pet(s) in the Philippines. The document should certify that the animal is free from, and has not been recently exposed to, any dangerous communicable disease, and that is has been given anti-rabies and all other required inoculations.

Mail or personally present the health certificate(s) from your vet to any Philippine Consular Office at least three weeks prior to the shipment of the pet(s) into the Philippines. After a bit of verification, the Consular Office will issue a Certification of Authenticity for your vet’s health certificate. Both of these documents, the health certificate from your vet and the certification of authenticity from the Philippine embassy or consulate, must accompany the pet when it enters the Philippines. The fee for the Certification of Authenticity from a Consular Office, at the time of this writing, is equivalent to US$25.00 per health certificate. Each pet will need its own set of health certificate and authentification of same. Payment should be made as a money order payable to the Consular Office.

In some instances, credit card payment will be accepted; it is best to contact the Consular Office nearest you to determine the accepted method of payment for this certification. Please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with the health certificate(s) that you wish to be certified, and the money order with which you will pay for the certification(s), so that the Consular Office is able to mail back your documentation to you.

Next, you will need to secure an import permit for your pet(s) from the Bureau of Animal Industry in Manila. You will also have to present this document (in addition to the veterinarian’s certificate of health and the certificate of authenticity issued by the Consular Office) at the airport upon the arrival of the pet(s) in the Philippines. You can secure this import permit by any one of the following ways:

1. Direct application to the Bureau of Animal Industry located at:

Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI)

Animal Health Division, Visayas Avenue , Diliman, Quezon City Tel: (632) 926-6883 and (632) 927-0971
Fax: (632) 926-6866

This is NOT the preferred method for handling this requirement, as it might take a while before you get the document you need. If ever.

2. The request for import permit may be filed by any party in Manila on behalf of the owner/importer of the pet(s) provided that the fee of around PHP200.00 (US$5.00 approx.) per pet is paid, and the particulars of the pet(s) (kind, breed, age, etc.) are known to the person filing on your behalf. Once it has been secured, a copy of the import permit should be sent, by fax or scan and e-mail, to yourself as the owner of the pet(s).

This IS the preferred method for handling this process; it yields fast, easy results. however, you will need someone on the ground in Manila, which, generally, should not be a problem.

3. The import permit may ALSO be obtained upon arrival at the airport in Manila by presenting the certified health certificate, and the certificate of authenticity issued by the Consular Office, one set per pet, to the Quarantine Officer on duty. This is followed by the filing of the required import permit, and the payment of the corresponding fee right at the terminal upon landing.

This method also works, certainly better than method #1, and almost as well as method #2. You will have to be prepared, though, to spend a lot of extra time at the airport in order to secure the release of your pet(s) as the Quarantine Officer might, particularly if the pet arrives on a late night flight, be off duty. It would be a good idea to ask for guidance on this matter directly from the Consular Office. Also, ask the airline to advise ground personnel at the airport that there will be pet(s) incoming which would require a Quarantine Officer to be present.

4. Even though the Philippines is one of the easier countries to bring your pet in to, you may still want to consider securing the services of a great company called Pet Travel Inc. Their information is good and their service is affordable, polite, and reliable. You can find them at: http://www.pettravel.com

An item of note, particularly for retirees who intend to transit through Hong Kong with their pet/s in order to get to the Philippines from their country of origin, please be advised that in almost all instances, you are required to obtain a TRANSIT VISA FOR YOUR PET in order to be able to do so. The process will require a minimum of about two weeks. Please read the information which follows thoroughly:

Obtaining a Transit Visa for your Pet/s Through Hong Kong

DO NOT book your pet/s on a flight until after you have obtained the permit to transit HKG; apparently this is considered presumptuous on your part and is frowned upon by the issuing authority.

DO tell the issuing authority on the permit application (there is a space provided) your intended travel date and flight information. If/When the permit is issued, it is good for six months for a single transit.

The Process:
Go to the site www.afcd.gov.hk

Click ENGLISH on the search bar above the photograph

Go to INSPECTION & QUARANTINE on the far right of page and click on it




Go to the third section, APPLICATION PROCEDURES, and in the first sentence, click on (Form AF240), download and print out the form, and then fill it out

Go to any bank that has a branch in Hong Kong (such as HSBC, Bank of America, Standard Chartered, etc) and purchase from them, in Hong Kong dollars, a bank draft (in American English, that would be called a “money order”) for the amount of HK$432.00 for one animal, and an additional HK$102.00 for each additional animal, cheque payable to “The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region”

Mail the filled-out application form, the bank draft/money order, and a self-addressed envelope with NO STAMP (the issuing authority will mail the permit, if granted, to you using this envelope, and they will pay the cost of the postage) to:

Permit & Certification Unit
Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Dept.
Counter No. 10, 5th Floor, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices
No. 303 Cheung Sha Wan Rd.
Kowloon, Hong Kong

If there are any questions, please call the offices at (852) 2150-7065 and inquire about Special Permit to Transit Hong Kong Airport for dogs/cats. The clerks speak English perfectly and are very helpful, knowledgeable, and polite!

“ More and more folks are retiring at an earlier age, while they are still healthy enough to enjoy their lives. The problem is, in the First World, even a couple in their late fifties that have a $500,000 investment portfolio, which includes their home equity and other investments, won’t have enough retirement income to take advantage of their hard-won freedom. ”

By Bruce Silverman
“ELRAP is a friendly website! On our pages please--no vulgarity, and no politics or religion discussed!”