Country -New Zealand

5. New Zealand

Embassy of New Zealand in Manila:


Registration of New Zealanders Overseas:

Create a New Registration (first time registrants)

You only have to register yourself once, then you will be able to access and update your personal details and amend or add travel destinations as required in the future.


If you are not able or do not wish to register online, please print the registration form, complete it, and return it to the nearest diplomatic post or direct to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Wellington.

Safe Travel matters

Tens of thousands of New Zealanders travel overseas every year. It’s a diverse and exciting world out there. But it’s not always sun, fun and photos while you’re travelling. Sometimes things can go wrong.

Your best-laid plans can be upset by any number of problems. Theft, accident or illness can affect you or those with you. Even losing or damaging your passport can spoil your trip. You might also get caught up in civil unrest, natural disasters or even acts of terrorism.

Some problems are impossible to foresee or avoid. But by planning ahead and arming yourself with the right information, you can reduce the risks you might encounter overseas.

Safe Travel New Zealand Government website:

  • Find out about your destinations
  • Research any travel risks, including those covered in the latest government travel advisories. MFAT travel advisories and links to United States, United Kingdom, Australian and Canadian Government advisories can be found on this website. Read travel guides.
  • Check for any health precautions you may need to take
  • Ask your health professional at least eight weeks before you go for advice on any health precautions needed in the area you are visiting eg anti-malaria medication, vaccinations.
  • Get comprehensive travel insurance from a reputable insurer
  • Read the policy carefully to ensure it covers your personal circumstances and planned activities eg scuba diving. Ask your insurance provider to ensure you have appropriate cover. The Insurance Council of New Zealand provides more information on their website.
  • Register your travel plans online with MFAT. This is so you can be contacted in an emergency. If your travel plans change, remember to update your itinerary on the MFAT registration database and tell your family and friends.
  • Advise family and/or friends of your travel plans
  • Make copies of your passport, insurance policy, 24-hour emergency numbers and ticket details. Carry one set separate from the originals and leave another set with family or friends.
  • Safeguard your passport at all times It can be difficult to replace your passport while overseas. Ensure it will remain valid for at least 6 months after your planned travel ends and that you have at least one clear visa page for immigration stamps. More information about passports can be found at
  • Contact home if you are near a major disaster or incident while travelling overseas
  • Take a mixture of money with you Don’t rely on a single form of money – for example, take cash, travellers’ cheques and a credit card. Allow enough to cover emergencies. Don’t keep all your money in one place.
  • Know where your nearest New Zealand Embassy is located
  • Obey local laws
    The New Zealand Government cannot intervene in the judicial processes of other countries. Being a New Zealand citizen does not entitle you to any special treatment.


Access to medical services in the Philippines

Some hospitals in the Philippines are equipped with modern facilities to meet most medical needs. In some remote towns and cities, clinics and health centres provide emergency medical attention. Most hotels and resorts provide medical assistance. Hospital and medical costs in the Philippines can be expensive, and some hospitals are reluctant to provide treatment if payment is not guaranteed.

New Zealanders visiting or residing in the Philippines are strongly encouraged to hold comprehensive health insurance that includes medical evacuation. You should talk to your insurance provider about the details of your policy before you leave as it may not provide cover for hidden costs, such as if you do not speak the language you may have to pay for the help of a translator.


If you are living in the Philippines you should think about what will happen if you become ill, including whether you have people such as a spouse or in-laws who you can rely on to take care of you (such as assisting you when you are in hospital). If they cannot support you financially, can someone in New Zealand? You should also not assume that when you need care you will be able to return to New Zealand, as you may be too ill to travel by plane as an ordinary passenger and other options for repatriation are likely to be extremely expensive. The embassy has encountered instances where residents have run into health difficulties in the Philippines and families have been forced to sell assets, including superannuation and family homes, to pay for treatment. Be clear about your health cover.

Further advice for New Zealanders about dealing with illness and injury overseas is available here.

Information about assistance that is available in the event of a death of a New Zealander overseas is available here.


Residing overseas

You can reside almost anywhere in the world and still get part or all of your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension payments. What you’ll get depends on where you go to and how long you’ve resided in New Zealand.

Who can get it

You may be able to receive New Zealand Superannuation or the Veteran’s Pension while you’re residing overseas but you need to talk to our International Services team about this before you go. You must intend to be away from New Zealand for more than 26 weeks.

Going overseas to do humanitarian work

If you go overseas temporarily to do full-time voluntary and unpaid humanitarian work for a recognised aid agency, you may be able to get your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension for up to 156 weeks. You should contact our International Services team before you go. Please read the fact sheet below about how voluntary or humanitarian work affects your pension entitlements.

New Zealand Superannuation, Missionary and Humanitarian work overseas

Where are you going to reside?

New Zealand has Social Security Agreements with a number of countries. Each agreement enables New Zealanders to get certain benefits or pensions when residing in these countries and allows for similar payments to people who move to New Zealand from these countries. Who’s eligible and who can apply depend on where you’re going to reside.

Residing in Australia

Residing in the United Kingdom

Residing in Canada, Denmark, Greece, Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey or the Netherlands

If you apply from overseas we can usually only pay you from the date you make your application. If you receive payments while residing in a Social Security Agreement country and you want to travel out of that country, whether you continue to get paid will depend on the individual Social Security Agreement we have with the country you reside in.

New Zealand also has a special portability arrangement with 22 Pacific countries. You can reside in any one of these countries and get some or all of your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s pension. You must apply before you leave New Zealand.

Residing in certain Pacific countries

These countries are American Samoa, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Island, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna.

If you are going to reside in any other country which is not covered by a Social Security Agreement or the special portability arrangement New Zealand has with Pacific countries, you can get up to 100 per cent of your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension.

You must apply before you leave NZ. For more information click on the link below

Residing in any other country

If you receive an overseas pension

The amount of New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension you receive from us depends on the country you’re going to. If you qualify for an overseas social security based pension and you:

  • are going to reside in a country which New Zealand has a Social Security Agreement with, there are specific rules – please talk with our International Services team first
  • are going to reside in a Pacific country covered under the special portability arrangement, we’ll deduct your overseas pension from the full basic New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension rate you get first and then assess how much you’re entitled to
  • are going to reside in any other country, any overseas pension you receive will generally not be taken into account. This is because your payments are calculated according to the amount of time you’ve resided in New Zealand.

Extra help

If you reside overseas, we are unable to pay extra help such as the Disability Allowance, family tax credit or the Accommodation Supplement. But you may be able to get extra help from the country you move to. You need to ask the appropriate Social Security agency about this when you get there.

If you have a partner

They can only get New Zealand Superannuation or the Veteran’s Pension payments overseas if they qualify in their own right. This means they can’t be ‘included’ in your payments if they don’t meet all the qualifying criteria to receive payment in their own right.

If you’re going to a country we have a Social Security Agreement with, your partner can apply for payment under that Social Security Agreement once they have reached the appropriate qualifying age.

Income tax

If you reside overseas you probably won’t have to pay New Zealand tax on the payments you receive from us. For more information on your tax liability in the country you’re going to, please contact their tax department.

We will send you a tax certificate every April. This will show what you’ve been paid while you’ve been overseas during the previous financial year.

For more information

Our International Services team specialise in paying New Zealand benefits and pensions overseas. They are the best people to contact for questions about getting your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension while travelling or residing overseas. They can explain the rules so you’ll know what to expect.

Contact International Services

Going overseas to live:

Living overseas usually means moving to another country permanently or spending more time overseas than in New Zealand.

What happens to your benefits if you go overseas to live?

Sometimes a short time away can be counted as ‘living overseas’. Before you leave New Zealand, make sure you discuss your plans with us, even if you’re only going for a short time.

New Zealand has Social Security Agreements with a number of countries. If you go overseas to live and you’re on certain types of income support, you may be able to take some or all of your payments with you – or receive payments from the country you move to.

Social Security agreements and guides

Other types of income support

If you live overseas, we can’t pay you family tax credit or any of the other forms of extra help like a Disability Allowance or Accommodation Supplement. But you may be able to get other help from the country you move to. You need to ask about this when you get there.

Decisions about payments from other countries

If you move to another country, any decisions about that country’s income support are made by the social security organisation of the country you are living in. If you disagree with a decision they make, you need to contact them, not us. Please note that your rights in other countries may be different than what they are in New Zealand.

New Zealand Superannuation

New Zealand Superannuation is a fortnightly payment for people aged 65 and over. We’ll automatically send you a SuperGold card when your New Zealand Superannuation is granted.

Who can get it

You may get New Zealand Superannuation if you:

  • are aged 65 or over
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • normally live in New Zealand at the time you apply.

You must also have lived in New Zealand for at least 10 years since you turned 20. Five of those years must be since you turned 50.

Time spent overseas in certain countries and for certain reasons may be counted for New Zealand Superannuation (we can tell you more about this when you contact us).

This information is a guide only. Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.

How much you can get

This depends on your current circumstances. These include:

  • whether you are single, married or in a relationship
  • your living situation if you are single
  • whether your partner is included in your New Zealand Superannuation payments or not
  • any overseas benefit or pension you may get.

Any payments you get from accident insurance or Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) may affect your pension.

View our maximum current rates

For more information

If you’d like more information read:

Services for seniors

For more detail go to our:

Manuals and procedures

If you want to know more about overseas pensions, or if you are living overseas, read:

Going overseas or moving to New Zealand pages

How to apply

Complete your application form for New Zealand Superannuation online.

If you don’t want to complete the form online call us on 0800 552 002 and we’ll explain how to apply. We’ll normally arrange a meeting with you and will tell you what you need to bring.

If you are deaf, hearing-impaired or find it hard to communicate by phone you may:

  • send a message to our Deaf Link free-fax 0800 621 621
  • send a message via the Teletypewriter telephone (TTY) on 0800 111 113
  • email us on

New Zealand Superannuation Application Form

New Zealand Superannuation Application Form – Current Clients

New Zealand Superannuation Application – Partner

How long do you have to complete your application?

You have 20 working days from when you first contacted us. You’ll need to provide us with any supporting documentation required for your application within this time. If you don’t do this, you may have to reapply.

If you can’t complete your application within 20 working days for any reason contact us.

Going overseas or moving to New Zealand

The information below is from:

Information for those in receipt of income support, New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension who are going overseas.

What happens to your Superannuation and Veteran’s pension when you go overseas?

What happens to your income support when you go overseas?

Returning to New Zealand to visit or live

Moving to New Zealand

Privacy laws when living overseas


New Zealand Citizens Tax Information for those living abroad:

If you’re living or going overseas

Who needs to file a return?

If you’re going overseas or already overseas, you need to work out if you’re a New Zealand resident or non-resident for tax purposes. Use the table below to help you find out.

If you are… then you’re likely to be a… Find out more…
overseas for less than 325 days in a 12-month period New Zealand resident for tax purposes. Work out if you need to do anything
overseas for more than 325 days in a 12-month period, and you don’t have an enduring relationship with New Zealand non-resident for tax purposes. Are you a New Zealand resident for tax purposes?


Residents earning money overseas

If you’re a New Zealand resident, you’re taxed on your worldwide income. This means you’ll need to declare any income you earn outside New Zealand. You’ll need to complete an IR3 individual income return at the end of the tax year (31 March) and will need to include proof of any overseas tax paid.

Non-residents earning money overseas

If you’re a non-resident and you earn money overseas, you don’t need to declare it in New Zealand.

Non-residents earning money in New Zealand

If you’re a non-resident and you earn money from New Zealand while you’re overseas, such as rental property income, you’ll need to declare this income in a tax return.

If you became a non-resident part way through the year, you’ll need to file an Individual tax return (IR3) at the end of the tax year (31 March). You need to clearly show the breakdown of income earned as a resident and as a non-resident. This return needs to be filed by 7 July.

For all subsequent years, you need to file a Non-resident income tax return (IR3NR) showing only your income earned in New Zealand. This return also needs to be filed by 7 July. To help you complete your IR3NR, you can download the Non-resident income tax return guide (IR3NRG).

What you need to do before you go

If you’re going overseas for more than three months you need to do the following:

Step Tell me how…
Register for an online services account
So you can stay in touch with us and your account while you’re away, you will need to register for Look at Account Information, and Secure mail.
Register for myIR online services
Tell us you’re going overseas and give us a contact address
We’ll forward any notices and statements to your New Zealand or overseas contact address. You could be charged penalties if you don’t tell us you’re going.
Send us an email through Secure mail, or call us on 0800 377 774.
Nominate a person to act on your behalf
This is useful if you won’t have a fixed address. The nominated person will be able to discuss your tax affairs with us.
Complete the Elect someone to act on your behalf (IR597) form, or call us on: 0800 377 774 (NZ) or +64 4 978 0738 (overseas).
Make sure you know your tax residency status
You need to know about any ongoing tax obligations or entitlements.
Find out more about tax residency and status, or if you want our view complete the New Zealand tax residence questionnaire (IR886).


What happens next

You’ll need to tell us when you return to New Zealand.

Find out more

Individual income returns (IR3)


At ANZ we understand the needs of expat Australians and New Zealanders living abroad. That is why we have designed the ANZ Expat Mortgage that provides a solution for the property and investment needs of the Australian and New Zealand expat community. We can present you with clear information on the opportunities and risks that may be associated with offshore mortgages. We can assist you to structure a facility that may suit your needs whilst you reside in Asia.

With an ANZ Expat mortgage, you can:

  • Finance in the currency of your overseas income or the location of your property with the flexibility to switch between currencies
  • Enjoy service from a business that has an in-depth connection with the Australian and New Zealand property markets

ANZ Expat Mortages are offered through ANZ’s Singapore Branch, and are subject to ANZ’s credit policy. Terms and conditions available upon application. Fees and charges apply.

To find out more visit our branch or call (02) 818-8117.

Common questions about ANZ Expat mortgages

Q Is there a minimum loan amount?
A The minimum loan amount is $200,000 in NZD or AUD. You can borrow up to 80% of the purchase price or valuation of the security property, whichever is lower.

Q What are the interest rates?
A The interest rates are competitive and are based on costs of fund and can vary from time to time.

Once you’re settled in – making the most of the opportunities

ANZ can offer a unique network solution to your offshore banking needs whilst you’re in Asia. Whether it’s through our offshore banking centres in Singapore and Hong Kong or back in Australia and New Zealand, we can draw together a truly international solution for all your financial needs.

The ANZ team in the Philippines can connect you with our teams in offshore sites and assist in establishing arrangements to simplify what can be a complex task of managing your financial position across a number of countries.

Accumulating and investing cash

ANZ Savings Accounts and Term Deposits are available in PHP, USD, AUD, EUR and NZD and can help you maximize returns on your funds.


Enrol and vote from Overseas:


Just because you are out of the country doesn’t mean you have to miss out on having your say in New Zealand’s elections.

If you are 18 years of age or older and either: a New Zealand citizen and have been in New Zealand in the past three years, or a New Zealand permanent resident who has been in New Zealand in the past 12 months, then you may enrol.

Your electorate will be the one in which you last lived for a month or more.

(Notes: There are exceptions to these time limits for certain people and their families, such as members of the New Zealand Defence Force or New Zealand diplomats or trade representatives.)

If you are eligible to enrol, you can enrol or update your details, by:

  • updating or enrolling online
  • picking up an enrolment form from any New Zealand diplomatic post
  • within New Zealand phoning 0800 36 76 56 or from overseas +64 9 909 4182 asking to be sent an enrolment form
  • asking a member of your family or a friend to complete an enrolment form for you.

You can get someone else to complete the enrolment form for you, but:

  • they must be a registered elector (ie, they must be enrolled themselves), and
  • they must print “Elector Overseas – signed by their direction” on the form next to their signature.
  • or you can have the form completed by someone who holds a Power of Attorney for you. In this case they must print “Elector Overseas – Power of Attorney” next to their signature.

Ready to enrol? Enrol now.

Voting in a general election from overseas

You can vote from overseas if you are enrolled and:

  • you are a New Zealand citizen and have visited New Zealand within the last three years, or
  • you are a permanent resident of New Zealand and have visited New Zealand in the last 12 months.

Voting papers are not automatically sent to voters who are overseas.

Voters who are overseas will be able to obtain their voting papers from two and a half weeks before election day in one of the following ways:

  • Download their voting papers from this website
  • Apply to the Electoral Commission for postal voting papers
  • Vote in person at an overseas post

Voters who are overseas will be able to return their voting papers in one of the following ways:

  • Fax their voting papers to the Electoral Commission (+64 4 494 2300)
  • Post or courier their voting papers to the Electoral Commission
  • Post, courier or hand deliver their voting papers to their nearest overseas post

Voting papers returned to the Electoral Commission must be received no later than 7.00pm (NZ time) on Election Day.

Voting papers returned to an overseas post must be received before the close of voting at that post usually 4.00pm (local time) the day before election day (subject to local holidays). Please check with your nearest overseas post for their closing time.

If you have any further questions about enrolling or voting from overseas,

Click here to contact the Electoral Commission

From within New Zealand call 0800 36 76 56.

From outside of New Zealand call +64 9 909 4182.

“ More and more folks are retiring at an earlier age, while they are still healthy enough to enjoy their lives. The problem is, in the First World, even a couple in their late fifties that have a $500,000 investment portfolio, which includes their home equity and other investments, won’t have enough retirement income to take advantage of their hard-won freedom. ”

By Bruce Silverman
“ELRAP is a friendly website! On our pages please--no vulgarity, and no politics or religion discussed!”